Huge GM Truck Brake Recall Announced by NHTSA - Is Yours On The List?

Gorehamj

8 minutes ago, Mdsjohna said:

No. It happens at or just above idle AFM has nothing to do with it.

Windshield wipers stop working it’s that damn AFM lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, The vacuum pump being defective coupled with the low RPM at idle causes this to happen at idle.  

The reason we even have the vacuum pump, and not just a port on the intake for the booster, is because overall, the engine vacuum in V4 mode is not always sufficient to maintain braking assist. 

Sadly, the vacuum pumps are no better. 

I am considering the electric corvette pump myself. 

• Like 1

No, The vacuum pump being defective coupled with the low RPM at idle causes this to happen at idle.     The reason we even have the vacuum pump, and not just a port on the intake for the booster, is because overall, the engine vacuum in V4 mode is not always sufficient to maintain braking assist. 

Sadly, the vacuum pumps are no better. 

I am considering the electric corvette pump myself. 

I agree it’s caused by a defective vacuum pump.

But my original comment was based on not understanding exactly what you were saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpinoy said:

I got a notice in the mail awhile back(months) mentioning this issue, but it said to only take it in if I was seeing that issue. Which I haven't experienced... Yet..

Just checked that link and I won as well. Guess I'll be scheduling a visit... ?‍♂️

Screenshot_20190911-112356_Chrome.thumb.jpg.adf4711e51fd5c8c167ee68d841221d5.jpg

This recall came at an unfortunate time when many of us 14 owners were beyond the 72K mile mark.

Should have been increased to at least 84k minimum if you ask me.

Programming software is much less invasive on GM's wallet compared to new Vacuum Pump installations but that is not our problem.

I don't have much interest in this alleged "fix"; tuning the brake controller module to simply have the warning light come on sooner does nothing for me. Either replace the pump correctly with the part that superseded it, or stop wasting my time with a tune that obfuscates the root problem.

We just had our Buick Enclave into the dealer (for the 6th time in the 1 year we've owned it,) for a stupid recall to fix a potential issue with the transmission clutches potentially dragging after an auto start/stop sequence that I am already irritated that I cannot disable in the first place. 

• Like 1

Wow.  What a mess. Bought used 2016 Sierra Denali beautiful looking truck but it's a piece of junk. Constant issues with road vibration, Horrible ride.Transmission shifting outta control.  God-bless America for bailing GM out. Now who bails me out when the everybody  knows of the issues.  Good luck trading it in and and getting a fair value.  Next stop RAM.

• Like 1

I’ve got a 2016 slt that had 8 speed trans problems but it has been good since they put the updated fluid in . I’m scheduled to get brake recall done. Hopefully I can talk them into replacing the vacuum pump .

6 hours ago, TwoBallScrewBall said:

The AFM when engaged reduces the vacuum produced to the point where the power brakes can be ineffective.   That is the reason. 

oh yeah i know the reason why.   if the government would stay put of our vehicles and stop with this mandating mileage/emissions etc. we wouldnt have to worry about shutting off cylinders and not having enough vacuum for brakes for crying out loud.     its not just GM, i work on Volvos and they have aux vacuum pumps for the brakes as well.    although the models that the vacuum pump uses engine oil doesnt have the GM issue.

• Like 1

My 2018 Sierra 5.3 Double Cab is not included in the recall per the linked VIN lookup.

I have not experienced odd behaviour from the braking system.

So I’m confused...

Apparently the vacuum pump fails and becomes clogged and the pressure diminishes with time. 

So why would GM just do a software update?

Is this a way to avoid fixing all the pumps or is this 2 separate issues that result in the same hard braking?

I know that GM has a redesigned pump now that replaces the old one and that the old pump can fail and suck motor oil into the brake booster. If that happens then you have to replace the brake booster etc.

Seems like they should just repair all the pumps if you ask me. I have 2 vehicles in this recall and if they don’t replace the pump I’ll do it myself.

Is suspicious to me...as if they are putting a bandaid on a problem that will eventually rear it’s ugly head once the warranty is up.

Wouldnt surprise me, especially since they haven’t recalled all the bad tail lights on the Yukons and charge $600 per side to fix their defective product.

Edited by Captainmc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, onedash said:

I paid for the new vac pump.  Screw the reprogramming 

That’s what I’m saying. Is the reprogram a bandaid until the pump really fails?? Then you are out of warranty with oil sucked up in your vacuum tube destroying your brake booster? This sounds fishy...

• Like 1