Huge GM Truck Brake Recall Announced by NHTSA - Is Yours On The List?

Gorehamj

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Yep that happens but it is a MINORITY not the MAJORITY. Thinking your case is THE case is nonsense. This is how stupid stuff gets started. Opinions offered as facts. 

Not sure what opinions I offered up.    If you would like to point that out to me, I'm open to hearing it.   I have stated nothing but facts in any of my posts. 

The vacuum pump design is garbage.   Period.   There, that's an opinion for you. 

• Like 1

Lack of maintenance is THE MAJOR factor. Sludge isn't caused by cheap crap quality parts but a fraction of the time.

Jsdirt, your a bright guy. Bright enough to know that if you know what it is...your treat it for what it is. You don't jump on thin ice and blame the ice for breaking or blame nature for not making it thicker. A guy like you could get a YUGO to 300K.  Your not one of those guys that puts a brick on the throttle of a stock motor then blames GM for weak rods, right. Then those who operate outside and maintain outside the design will be the MAJORITY but not the ENTIRITY of those failures. Yes some have other causes but......

When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not Zebras. 

I'm not saying the pump is top O' the shelf. GM, Ford, Dodge are all price point low bit contract builders that use the cheapest materials possible. That includes their oil. It is indeed inclined to fail IF it's maintenance isn't meticulous. That stinks but it is also what it is. You remember the commercial where TOYOTA welds the hood shut on a Camry and drives it 100K? IT went the way of "Where's the Beef" and the Dodo bird. 

Anyone see a pattern here? VLOM screens plug, lifters fail, SLUDGE. Vacuum pump screens plug, vacuum pump fails, SLUDGE.

This is an odd dance. GM wants to get it past warranty which is getting ever shorter and wash their hands of it so they can sell you the next flavor of the month and ya'll are more than willing to comply. Then after treating it like the Red Headed Stepchild they lock the computer and claim they OWN it forever. Which is it? 

I don’t look at GM trucks as some kind of special exotic vehicle. I didn’t buy trucks for gas mileage. I drive hard and use synthetics. I’m not molding myself to fit their model. I buy to fit mine. At this point GM doesn’t. I never lost an engine from my choice in oil. GM took a bulletproof engine and made it sensitive. I’ll save my coddling for my toys, not my daily. I feel sorry for people who have to drive them. External vacuum pump, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I think that some do ignore that light. I think 'marketing' synthetics and semi synthetics don't last as long as people would like to think. I think most people use the cheapest stuff they can and use it far to long.  I think oil temperatures would dictate a change point sooner than 7500 miles. That one is on GM and why I implied not to trust them.  I think people by and large drive to hard and to fast. I think that even if GM is a stone idiot that a person who pays as much as we do for this product and who was the least bit mechanically inclined and cared could see the problem in it's making and avoid it. I did, I avoided it and I'm not the brightest bulb in the package. I think GM has become like Dyson. A marketing company whose main concern is the next product cycle. I think people think things should work as the WANT and not as IT IS. Until that changes...they reap what they sow. 

Sounds like opinions and outright guesses being stated as facts. If not state your source and provide the statistical details. My source was the study in the first post that clearly stated SLUDGE was the "ROOT CAUSE". And they do have a revised part to IDIOT proof a system that works fine if take care of most of the time. 

Lack of maintenance is THE MAJOR factor. Sludge isn't caused by cheap crap quality parts but a fraction of the time.

Jsdirt, your a bright guy. Bright enough to know that if you know what it is...your treat it for what it is. You don't jump on thin ice and blame the ice for breaking or blame nature for not making it thicker. A guy like you could get a YUGO to 300K.  Your not one of those guys that puts a brick on the throttle of a stock motor then blames GM for weak rods, right. Then those who operate outside and maintain outside the design will be the MAJORITY but not the ENTIRITY of those failures. Yes some have other causes but......

I'm not saying the pump is top O' the shelf. GM, Ford, Dodge are all price point low bit contract builders that use the cheapest materials possible. That includes their oil. It is indeed inclined to fail IF it's maintenance isn't meticulous. That stinks but it is also what it is. You remember the commercial where TOYOTA welds the hood shut on a Camry and drives it 100K? IT went the way of "Where's the Beef" and the Dodo bird. 

Anyone see a pattern here? VLOM screens plug, lifters fail, SLUDGE. Vacuum pump screens plug, vacuum pump fails, SLUDGE.

This is an odd dance. GM wants to get it past warranty which is getting ever shorter and wash their hands of it so they can sell you the next flavor of the month and ya'll are more than willing to comply. Then after treating it like the Red Headed Stepchild they lock the computer and claim they OWN it forever. Which is it? 

Nice word smithing chief,  do any reading on this topic and with any insight into vehicle maintenance and parts and you'll see it's not a one off problem caused by poor maintenance.

This is a forum not a place to sit down and write a thesis.  BTW the pot calling the kettle black, you referencing the first post in a thread with exerpts from a GM listed fix and likely problem isn't exactly scientific.  Face it you're a GM fan boy who will stop at nothing to blame owners instead of realizing people pay too much for the junk quality you get in a vehicle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I think that some do ignore that light. I think 'marketing' synthetics and semi synthetics don't last as long as people would like to think. I think most people use the cheapest stuff they can and use it far to long.  I think oil temperatures would dictate a change point sooner than 7500 miles. That one is on GM and why I implied not to trust them.  I think people by and large drive to hard and to fast. I think that even if GM is a stone idiot that a person who pays as much as we do for this product and who was the least bit mechanically inclined and cared could see the problem in it's making and avoid it. I did, I avoided it and I'm not the brightest bulb in the package. I think GM has become like Dyson. A marketing company whose main concern is the next product cycle. I think people think things should work as the WANT and not as IT IS. Until that changes...they reap what they sow. 

Sounds like opinions and outright guesses being stated as facts. If not state your source and provide the statistical details. My source was the study in the first post that clearly stated SLUDGE was the "ROOT CAUSE". And they do have a revised part to IDIOT proof a system that works fine if take care of most of the time. 

Just based on what I see coming in here these days, very little of it has to do with lack of maintenance. I'm sure that will play a part as well, since modern vehicles have ZERO tolerance for maintenance neglect.

Seems the agreement is that the fat has been cut from the bone to the point of failure. 

16 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I don’t look at GM trucks as some kind of special exotic vehicle. I didn’t buy trucks for gas mileage. I drive hard and use synthetics. I’m not molding myself to fit their model. I buy to fit mine. At this point GM doesn’t. I never lost an engine from my choice in oil. GM took a bulletproof engine and made it sensitive. I’ll save my coddling for my toys, not my daily. I feel sorry for people who have to drive them. External vacuum pump, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll reply to this one as this one sees what it is. This guy knows what it is. Knows who he is. Then maintains to a workable solution and not always GM's way OR, and in this case, ignored this product cycle. Nice "LIFE SMITHING" sir! Hat's off. 

• Like 2

For the rest of you. I'll pass. Do as you like. Believe what you like. Maintain as you wish. Hate as you will. Why would it matter to me? Seriously will your views change how my truck responds to my maintenance? Only if I drink the Kool-Aid. :crackup:

You guys have any idea how many things this forum has told me were unavoidable catastrophes just waiting to happen? What a piece of junk the six speed is. My vacuum pump. My AFM. The VLOM. Catch Can. The fact it's a V6. Factory tires. Over 100K miles and a pinion seal....that's it. Even my wiper blades made it nearly 80K and this truck sits outside 24/7/365. I'll keep my eye's open, my ear to the ground but I will let results (data) do the guiding. Hate away. :cheers: 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, therapy said:

My 2014 only has 50k miles on it, but I called in to get the recall anyway. I change the oil every 3-4k miles and full synthetic but never hurts to be cautious. Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Same here.  I will follow up and have a long conversation with the technician as well.   

Same here.   My guess is that some of the 2018's got the new pump.   This thread has great pics of the old and new pumps, there are external visual differences, so using these pics you should be able to look under the hood and check which one you have.   I will be doing the same later today and will post back just for giggles. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BrianBrianBrian said:

SO last year I received a new replacement Vacuum pump from a recall.  Now, I/we get a another recall regarding vacuum pressure for braking.  This recall is meant to reprogram?   I don't like hearing those words...reprogram.  

The honest reason that the vacuum pressure is lost is because of the cheap pump.  The "Hard-To-Brake" situation is most likely felt by those that have Eco (4 cylinder).  When your vehicle is in 4 cylinder mode it doesn't create enough power to boost your brakes aided by the vacuum pump.  

By doing just a reprogram, they're not actually fixing the problem.  All they are doing is lowering the digital indicator that alerts the driver about a "Brake Assist Warning" that we all see on the DIC.   2014 - Current GMC / Chevrolet : Hard Brake Pedal

So, if someone had a range or similar afm delete then they shouldn't experience any negative feedback from their brakes?

28 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

For the rest of you. I'll pass. Do as you like. Believe what you like. Maintain as you wish. Hate as you will. Why would it matter to me? Seriously will your views change how my truck responds to my maintenance? Only if I drink the Kool-Aid. :crackup:

You guys have any idea how many things this forum has told me were unavoidable catastrophes just waiting to happen? What a piece of junk the six speed is. My vacuum pump. My AFM. The VLOM. Catch Can. The fact it's a V6. Factory tires. Over 100K miles and a pinion seal....that's it. Even my wiper blades made it nearly 80K and this truck sits outside 24/7/365. I'll keep my eye's open, my ear to the ground but I will let results (data) do the guiding. Hate away. :cheers: 

You sure type a lot for someone who doesn't care :)

There is finally a NHTSA recall of over 3 million trucks for this issue, but you still want to say there's nothing wrong with the pump???  Who the hell is drinking Kool Aid here??  :D  :D  :D 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, superd said:

gm has a special coverage bulletin which covers a new pump if it fails a vacuum test. may not have had to pay for that. bulletin #N182202780

Is the new pump different than the one being replaced?

Edit: guess so looking at pics above.

Now time to crawl under and see.

To make light of this: thought the saying goes if it ain't brake, don't fix it!

To those having problems, hope you get it handled and don't let GM give you the run around.

Edited by Slash L86

14 minutes ago, Slash L86 said:

So, if someone had a range or similar afm delete then they shouldn't experience any negative feedback from their brakes?

I'm not a certified mechanic nor have I stayed in any Holiday Inn Express hotels lately.  That said, yes.  The mechanical vacuum pumps sole purpose is to pick up the slack when your engine is operating in V4 mode because the engine can't sufficiently supply enough vacuum pressure to the brakes.  I'm just guessing on this but, if you've deleted AFM or your vehicle doesn't have this feature than I would suspect you are less susceptible to encounter the "hard brake assist" issue.    

14 minutes ago, BrianBrianBrian said:

I'm not a certified mechanic nor have I stayed in any Holiday Inn Express hotels lately.  That said, yes.  The mechanical vacuum pumps sole purpose is to pick up the slack when your engine is operating in V4 mode because the engine can't sufficiently supply enough vacuum pressure to the brakes.  I'm just guessing on this but, if you've deleted AFM or your vehicle doesn't have this feature than I would suspect you are less susceptible to encounter the "hard brake assist" issue.    

Unfortunately not.  The brakes pull no vacuum from the engine.   All vacuum is from the pump, regardless of what mode you're in.    There is no vacuum line that goes from booster to intake.   Just to the belt driven pump.   

3 hours ago, Yondu said:

How do you know if you have the new style pump?  My 2018 was bought like 10 or 11 months ago. 

Anyone have pics?

Looks like my 18 built 4/18 has the newer style

Edit: now looking at it looks like the older one.

Maybe there's a difference between factory and aftermarket replacement? 

20190912_083828.jpg

Edited by Slash L86