In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Gorehamj

Huge GM Truck Brake Recall Announced by NHTSA - Is Yours On The List?

10 hours ago, Gagliano7 said:

The fix by gm is a joke. All there doing is some programming. Just a band aid fix. I didn't even know we had a secondary pump. On my 2018 Sierra with only 6000 miles when i stop at a stop sign and i pump the brakes they get very hard. I have never had a problem with normal braking.

I agree...they don’t want to fix all the pumps. So they reprogram it hoping that most will go beyond warranty, then you’re screwed. I heard the pump can fail and suck oil into your brake booster resulting in an even more expensive fix. GM kinda sucks these days...

GM has been sucking a long time now. Think it's time they give it up, and let someone else build vehicles. Lot of good the gov't bailout did, aye? image.png.df03f4a55462d4896371126040a84985.png

7 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

So this is just a software update and not a replacement of the crappy Vacuum pump ?

That's the funny part of it. Letter I received a few months before trading the '16 with less than 20K said it was not a recall, but they would replace the mechanical pump is assist was being lost and they were extending the warranty to six years on replacement of that part. Mine was still fine but dealer was willing to do it anyway I figured had six years for replacement......good thing I traded because now no more replacement, just a kludge on the electric vacuum pump. So what happens when this tiny electric pump is called upon for duty cycles in excess of design specs.....will they extend the service life of the part to compensate? ....(I already know the answer - No).

Use to be almost anybody on the block could rebuild a motor that was over 10 years of age. Now????

This isn't an AFM issue.

This isn't a low idle issue. 

This isn't a crappy pump issue 

This isn't an ABS issue. 

This is a maintenance issue. Oil maintenance. SLUDGE. Read the first post of this tread.

The INLET screen becomes plugged with sludge.

This starves the pump for oil. No oil no seal. No seal, no vacuum.

No oil. Pump fails like any other device in the universe that relies on oil to prevent wear, cool, clean and reduce friction.  

Who controls oil maintenance?

The owner! :idiot:

The Government is getting involved because it has dawned on them that the days of people being the least bit mechanically inclined are OVER.

Hint: This is happening to trucks that use Dexos 2 oil and the OLM.

Still want to believe that GM engineers are all that and a can of beans?

:rollin:

:crackup: 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

...SLUDGE. Read the first post of this tread...

I got hung up on it, too. Just didn't know how to respond.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Use to be almost anybody on the block could rebuild a motor that was over 10 years of age. Now????

This isn't an AFM issue.

This isn't an ABS issue. 

This is a maintenance issue. Oil maintenance. SLUDGE. Read the first post of this tread.

No oil. Pump fails like any other device in the universe that relies on oil to prevent wear, cool, clean and reduce friction.  

The Government is getting involved because it has dawned on them that the days of people being the least bit mechanically inclined are OVER.

Hint: This is happening to trucks the use Dexos 2 oil and the OLM.

Makes sense. Although my 2015 Yukon only has 27,000 miles and I’m a maintenance freak. I’ll find out Monday if it’s the pump pressure or just a re program like they said.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

This isn't an AFM issue.

This isn't an ABS issue. 

Sounds like a good way to blame the owner, except this is happening to vehicles with next to no miles and not to mention GM uses semi synthetic where most people with the problem use quality full synthetic.  The pump is a pos chinesium part, that's why they stopped using it in 2019, and they already have a revision as a replacement.

Lack of maintenance could be a factor ... but the bottom line is, it's due to cheap crap quality parts.

I had a '85 Monte Carlo that I used to keep pouring oil and tranny fluid in. Drove that thing over 100k miles before the 200-4R lost every gear but 1st, lol. Engine still ran great! Had the same filter on there for almost 3 years. No point in changing it when the entire crankcase was refreshed every 400 miles, right? 🤣 And that was one of my newer cars! This new crap wouldn't make it 30 miles that way.

This isn't an AFM issue.

This isn't an ABS issue. 

I agree with 99.9999 percent of your post. Do you really think people are ignoring the little light that says change oil? Or should GM make it sooner? If that’s the case it’s not the sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

This isn't an AFM issue.

This isn't an ABS issue. 

Blah Blah Blah.........

My 2018 5.3 Crew has 15,000 miles and is on it's third oil change, changed at or before oil life monitor on the dash (1,000 miles to clear breakin crap, ~7500 miles and 14,900 miles) and I have the issue.   Compounding this is that my truck is not listed in the recall, so I expect a fight to get anything worthwhile accomplished.   

Blaming this on lack of maintenance is total nonsense.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I agree with 99.9999 percent of your post. Do you really think people are ignoring the little light that says change oil? Or should GM make it sooner? If that’s the case it’s not the sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that some do ignore that light. I think 'marketing' synthetics and semi synthetics don't last as long as people would like to think. I think most people use the cheapest stuff they can and use it far to long.  I think oil temperatures would dictate a change point sooner than 7500 miles. That one is on GM and why I implied not to trust them.  I think people by and large drive to hard and to fast. I think that even if GM is a stone idiot that a person who pays as much as we do for this product and who was the least bit mechanically inclined and cared could see the problem in it's making and avoid it. I did, I avoided it and I'm not the brightest bulb in the package. I think GM has become like Dyson. A marketing company whose main concern is the next product cycle. I think people think things should work as the WANT and not as IT IS. Until that changes...they reap what they sow. 

48 minutes ago, Heavy Chevy! said:

Sounds like a good way to blame the owner, except this is happening to vehicles with next to no miles and not to mention GM uses semi synthetic where most people with the problem use quality full synthetic.  The pump is a pos chinesium part, that's why they stopped using it in 2019, and they already have a revision as a replacement.

Sounds like opinions and outright guesses being stated as facts. If not state your source and provide the statistical details. My source was the study in the first post that clearly stated SLUDGE was the "ROOT CAUSE". And they do have a revised part to IDIOT proof a system that works fine if take care of most of the time. 

34 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Lack of maintenance could be a factor ... but the bottom line is, it's due to cheap crap quality parts.

Lack of maintenance is THE MAJOR factor. Sludge isn't caused by cheap crap quality parts but a fraction of the time.

Jsdirt, your a bright guy. Bright enough to know that if you know what it is...your treat it for what it is. You don't jump on thin ice and blame the ice for breaking or blame nature for not making it thicker. A guy like you could get a YUGO to 300K.  Your not one of those guys that puts a brick on the throttle of a stock motor then blames GM for weak rods, right. Then those who operate outside and maintain outside the design will be the MAJORITY but not the ENTIRITY of those failures. Yes some have other causes but......

When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not Zebras. 

I'm not saying the pump is top O' the shelf. GM, Ford, Dodge are all price point low bit contract builders that use the cheapest materials possible. That includes their oil. It is indeed inclined to fail IF it's maintenance isn't meticulous. That stinks but it is also what it is. You remember the commercial where TOYOTA welds the hood shut on a Camry and drives it 100K? IT went the way of "Where's the Beef" and the Dodo bird. 

Anyone see a pattern here? VLOM screens plug, lifters fail, SLUDGE. Vacuum pump screens plug, vacuum pump fails, SLUDGE.

This is an odd dance. GM wants to get it past warranty which is getting ever shorter and wash their hands of it so they can sell you the next flavor of the month and ya'll are more than willing to comply. Then after treating it like the Red Headed Stepchild they lock the computer and claim they OWN it forever. Which is it? 

• Like 1

I've looked at every '18 I could find and have not seen a recall.  I also noticed it doesn't include the19 old styles.  I wonder if/what has changed?

10 hours ago, Captainmc said:

So I’m confused...

Apparently the vacuum pump fails and becomes clogged and the pressure diminishes with time. 

So why would GM just do a software update?

Is this a way to avoid fixing all the pumps or is this 2 separate issues that result in the same hard braking?

I know that GM has a redesigned pump now that replaces the old one and that the old pump can fail and suck motor oil into the brake booster. If that happens then you have to replace the brake booster etc.

Seems like they should just repair all the pumps if you ask me. I have 2 vehicles in this recall and if they don’t replace the pump I’ll do it myself.

Is suspicious to me...as if they are putting a bandaid on a problem that will eventually rear it’s ugly head once the warranty is up.

Wouldnt surprise me, especially since they haven’t recalled all the bad tail lights on the Yukons and charge $600 per side to fix their defective product.

How do you know if you have the new style pump?  My 2018 was bought like 10 or 11 months ago. 

Anyone have pics?

6 minutes ago, TwoBallScrewBall said:

My 2018 5.3 Crew has 15,000 miles and is on it's third oil change, changed at or before oil life monitor on the dash (1,000 miles to clear breakin crap, ~7500 miles and 14,900 miles) and I have the issue.   Compounding this is that my truck is not listed in the recall, so I expect a fight to get anything worthwhile accomplished.   

Blaming this on lack of maintenance is total nonsense.  

Yep that happens but it is a MINORITY not the MAJORITY. Thinking your case is THE case is nonsense. This is how stupid stuff gets started. Opinions offered as facts. 

We have also had the issue since about 10,000 miles, that's when we first saw this warning on the dash.   It would happen on startups, and we would just shut the truck down and restart it, which always cleared the problem. 

It was not until I was almost unable to make a stop pulling my boat at a crossroad with a 50mph highway a couple weeks ago that we made the appt to get it looked at, and I started digging further.