Huge GM Truck Brake Recall Announced by NHTSA - Is Yours On The List?

Gorehamj

SO last year I received a new replacement Vacuum pump from a recall.  Now, I/we get a another recall regarding vacuum pressure for braking.  This recall is meant to reprogram?   I don't like hearing those words...reprogram.  

The honest reason that the vacuum pressure is lost is because of the cheap pump.  The "Hard-To-Brake" situation is most likely felt by those that have Eco (4 cylinder).  When your vehicle is in 4 cylinder mode it doesn't create enough power to boost your brakes aided by the vacuum pump.  

By doing just a reprogram, they're not actually fixing the problem.  All they are doing is lowering the digital indicator that alerts the driver about a "Brake Assist Warning" that we all see on the DIC.   2014 - Current GMC / Chevrolet : Hard Brake Pedal

My brakes would go rock hard at slow speeds constantly. I traded in the truck at 96k miles for a 2018 high country.... The vacuum pump is on the belt , down low on the drivers side. They can fail and send fragments into the engine oil. I’ve seen a post where that happened and GM didn’t cover it becuase it was a “non powertrain part”. 

29 minutes ago, BrianBrianBrian said:

SO last year I received a new replacement Vacuum pump from a recall.  Now, I/we get a another recall regarding vacuum pressure for braking.  This recall is meant to reprogram?   I don't like hearing those words...reprogram.  

The honest reason that the vacuum pressure is lost is because of the cheap pump.  The "Hard-To-Brake" situation is most likely felt by those that have Eco (4 cylinder).  When your vehicle is in 4 cylinder mode it doesn't create enough power to boost your brakes aided by the vacuum pump.  

By doing just a reprogram, they're not actually fixing the problem.  All they are doing is lowering the digital indicator that alerts the driver about a "Brake Assist Warning" that we all see on the DIC.   2014 - Current GMC / Chevrolet : Hard Brake Pedal

No "Eco" mode.  Had that programmed out last year!

Someone noted that when they sit at a stop light and pump the brake pedal it gets really hard ... uh, isn't it supposed to do this?

Just took mine in yesterday ... reprogramming took a couple of minutes.

The recall apparently also includes an additional 12,000 miles on the pump warranty.

The brake booster operates on vacuum.  The vacuum is provided by a vacuum pump driven by the engine. The engine vacuum does not power the booster. 

I foind my faulty pump because I had brought the suburban in to diagnose a torque converter noise.  The dealer told me it was a noisy vacuum pump, and normal noise from direct injection pump.  

I told them the brake vacuum pump is an internally engine oil lubricated part, and should be covered by warranty.  All internally libricated parts are covered for 100k on the ‘15. They denied it.  A few days later, sitting in a drive through, I got the hard pedal after a few quick brakings at low engine speed. The problem is that the vacuum pump isn’t providing enough vacuum to last at low engine speed. 

I replaced the pump ($100) and installed it myself.  Went back to the dealer and pitched a fit.  Escalated to GM directly, and told them about the pending recall, pending lawsuits, and TSB they issued.   Eventually they offered me a $100 service credit good for parts and labor on my next visit. 

Edited by Don Lindsey

I'm not listed in the recall, but my 2018 has had "Service Brake Assist" accompanied by a hard pulsing pedal and reduced braking multiple times.   Most recently, 2 weeks ago, I was coming down a steep incline with a 3500lb  boat trailer that does not have trailer brakes, and I got this message and my brakes went useless.   I had to STAND on the pedal to stop before the crossroad I was approaching.   It was terrifying.  

We took the truck to the dealer yesterday, and after 2 hours they sent my wife home saying they would not troubleshoot the issue since I had some running lights tapped into the parking light circuits in the fuse box and 4-pin trailer plug.  Upon calling them back, they spent all that time troubleshooting the TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER and lights, not the onboard brakes.   Going back Tuesday, hopefully we don't die in a crash before then.   It was not a pleasant conversation with the service advisor.   

This is nuts.   Give me my 2016 back. 

Edited by TwoBallScrewBall
  • Sad 1

When I had mine in to replace the HPFP I told the service writer this condition but it only happens either backing down a steep boat ramp, or idling on a hill. The pedal gets rock hard. Not an issue when climbing the hill in drive but when you're backing a boat down, hell yea, that could be disastrous. He said they'd fix it. Went back for an alignment 2 weeks later and still had the same problem. The service writer told me that the hill assist is whats causing the hard brake pedal. Basically brushed it off. Does my issue sound like whats going on with the recall?

7 minutes ago, Don Lindsey said:

The brake booster operates on vacuum.  The vacuum is provided by a vacuum pump driven by the engine. The engine vacuum does not power the booster. 

I foind my faulty pump because I had brought the suburban in to diagnose a torque converter noise.  The dealer told me it was a noisy Bataks vacuum pump, and normal noise from direct injection pump.  

I told them the brake vacuum pump is an internally beings oil lubricated part, and should be covered by warranty.  The denied it.  A few days later, sitting in a drive through, I got the hard pedal after a few quick braking at low engine speed. The problem is that the vacuum pump isn’t providing enough vacuum to last at low engine speed. 

I replaced the pump ($100) and installed it myself.  Went back to the dealer and pitched a fit.  Escalated to GM directly, and told them about the pending recall, pending lawsuits, and TSB they issued.   Eventually they offered me a $100 service credit good for parts and labor on my next visit. 

There is a recall for the hard brake pedal and your dealer should fix it under warranty.  I had mine fixed a month ago with over 60k on the Odo and all covered.  The vacuum is supposed to be at 27psi or better and mine was at 12psi.

17 minutes ago, Cosmic Charlie said:

I thought the 2500 / 3500 use the power steering pump for the Power Brakes Assist (?)  or is that something else +- ?

yes the HD trucks have the Hydrovac setup.  i dont recall seeing any vacuum pumps on them.     i see they do mention 2500 and 3500 trucks though.  my 2015 HD doesnt have any external vacuum pump.